Averitt has released the results from its eighth annual State of The North American Supply Chain Survey. Nearly 1,800 shippers from a wide variety of industries throughout North America participated in the survey, which was conducted in late 2022.
The survey consisted of a series of questions aimed at gauging the supply chain challenges that shippers experienced in 2022. They were also asked questions to measure the use of and interest in various supply chain services in comparison to data taken from the previous years’ surveys.
Some of the questions asked in the survey included:
- Are businesses predicting an increase or decrease in shipments in 2023?
- Did freight capacity pose a challenge for your business in 2022?
- What was your biggest challenge with international shipments in 2022?
Results from the survey were compiled into a white paper that is available to download for free. The white paper will be a valuable resource that shippers can use to help plan their supply chain strategy for the year ahead.
Conclusions drawn from the survey of shippers included:
- 63% anticipate increased shipping volumes in 2023 – nearly 14 percentage points lower than 2022's results
- 22% of all respondents struggled with capacity challenges within their supply chain in 2022 compared to 37% that reported issues in 2021
- 39% experienced zero challenges with truckload capacity in 2022 compared to 28% in 2021
- 33% encountered issues with on-time delivery performance in 2022 compared to 44% in 2021
- 23% plan to use air services in 2023 compared to 32% that had planned to use the service in 2022
- 17% anticipate using rail services in 2023 compared to 26% that planned to use the service in 2022
- 31% of the respondents were challenged with on-time inland container deliveries in 2022 compared to 37% recorded in 2021
Serving shippers for over 50 years, Averitt is a leading provider of freight transportation and supply chain management solutions with an international reach to 100+ countries. Averitt’s LTL, Truckload, Dedicated, Distribution & Fulfillment, and Integrated services provide shippers access to a wide array of services and customized solutions that cover every link in the supply chain. Together, these services and technology offerings provide “The Power of One” to shippers, allowing them access to multiple transportation solutions from a single provider. Averitt's 9,000+ associates are dedicated to delivering the most reliable services within the industry, and to promoting a company culture that is centered around people, communities and giving back. For more information, call 1-800-AVERITT (283-7488) or visit Averitt.com.