Averitt has released the results from its ninth annual State of The North American Supply Chain Survey. Over 1,400 shippers from a wide variety of industries throughout North America participated in the survey, which was conducted in late 2023.
The survey consisted of a series of questions aimed at gauging the supply chain challenges that shippers experienced in 2023. They were also asked questions to measure the use of and interest in various supply chain services in comparison to data taken from the previous years’ surveys.
Some of the questions asked in the survey included:
- Are businesses predicting an increase or decrease in shipments in 2024?
- How important is a carrier’s sustainability program to a shipper’s decision-making?
- What was the biggest challenge with international shipments in 2023?
Results from the survey were compiled into a white paper that is available to read or download on Averitt’s website. The white paper will be a valuable resource that shippers can use to help plan their supply chain strategy for the year ahead.
Conclusions drawn from the survey of shippers included:
- 67% anticipate increased shipping volumes in 2024 – four percentage points higher compared to 2023’s results
- 26% plan to use air cargo services in 2024 compared to 23% that planned to use the service in 2023
- 20% plan to use rail services in 2023 compared to 17% that planned to use the service in 2023
- When it comes to weighing the importance of a carrier’s sustainability program in decision-making, 46% of shippers said it was highly important, 37% said it was of medium importance, and only 17% said it was of low importance
- Customs clearance was reported as the biggest challenge for international shippers in 2023 with a 5-percentage-point increase in 2023 (29%) over 2022 (24%)
Serving shippers for over 50 years, Averitt is a leading provider of freight transportation and supply chain management solutions with an international reach of over 100 countries. Averitt's “Power of One” service structure provides shippers access to LTL, Truckload, Dedicated, Distribution & Fulfillment, and Integrated services that cover every link in the supply chain. Averitt’s team has been awarded the highest honors in the industry in the past year, including five Quest for Quality Awards, numerous customer awards, and a No. 1 overall ranking in MASTIO & Company’s shipper survey. Averitt's 9,000+ associates are dedicated to delivering the most reliable services within the industry and promoting a company culture centered around people, communities, sustainability, and giving back. For more information, call 1-800-AVERITT (283-7488) or visit Averitt.com.